Saturday, February 22, 2014

Gothic

Gothic art and architecture evolved from the Romanesque period, and served as a bridge from the Romanesque to the Renaissance.  Gothic architecture is known for its pointed arch, ribbed vault, and flying buttress.  In terms of buildings, Gothic architecture is most prominent in churches and cathedrals, although it can also be seen in other building types.  For the most part Gothic architecture was embraced in Northern France, England, and Spain, although it can also be found elsewhere.

I personally feel that Gothic architecture is beautiful.  When I spent a semester abroad I went to Paris and got to see Notre Dame firsthand.  It is an amazing cathedral, and even though I studied in Rome and got to see innumerable beautiful churches, I think that Notre Dame in Paris is one of the most stunning.  The outside is intricate and there are details, gargoyles, and carvings everywhere, but the real masterpiece is the interior.


As soon as you walk in you are struck by a feeling of massiveness.  As I talked about in class I was mesmerized by the stained glass windows.  There are so many inside the cathedral and each is unique and exquisitely detailed.  I cannot fathom the time and concentration it must have taken to create those windows, but it definitely paid off because they are extremely beautiful.  I would go back in a heartbeat, because there is so much detail inside this place that there is no way to take it all in at once. I am sure that it would be equally as stunning to see again.




Gothic architecture and design can still be seen today in numerous applications.  When I was thinking of current applications I immediately thought of university campuses.  I found pictures of countless universities that have utilized Gothic architecture in the design and construction of some of their buildings.


Boston University


Duke University

Gothic design and certain architectural elements can also be found in modern interior design.  Although more subtle it is still quite clear where the inspiration came from.


Here you can see the pointed arch and stained glass windows


The furniture pieces in this room drew on Gothic architecture and furniture

No comments:

Post a Comment